Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"To find a man's true character, play golf with him." ~P.G. Wodehouse

This quote caught my attention this morning. Partly because I live in Florida and well there is golf here. Where I live in Florida there is a lot of golf. I can see where he would get that idea from. Now I don't know who P.G. Wodehouse is and I didn't take the time to Google him this morning, just stating that upfront. For all I know he could have been a golfer. But the thing that went through my mind when I read that quote was "To find a man's true character, see him with children, either his own or someone else's." Now that one is mine, at least I've never heard it before 5 minutes ago when I thought of it and felt I had to type this blog post before work.

A perfect example is my friend D. He is one of Spawn's Godfathers. Now he has no kids of his own, but D has that never ending patience with those under the age of "damn you're stupid" that makes him just amazing. I've already spoken about my roomie P and my friend M both of whom are amazing dads. P has a way with Spawn sometimes that can get through to her when I can't, I tell him it's because he's not her parent but it's just because he has that dad thing going and she doesn't really have that with her own so she does respond to the strong ones around her. M is just the Pied Piper when it comes to kids, I'm always in awe of him for that.

Children can bring out the best and the worst in us. I am always amazed at how Spawn can push every single button I have 50 times over then push them all again with in an hour. Then be a complete angel. But I guess that is just kids. Even with everything going on and all the worry and the stress I still wouldn't trade her for anything. I guess that is the mark of a true parent, no matter how bad it gets and how stressed you are and all the hell the ex puts you through, if given the chance to do it again, you would.

Spawn was, is and always will be the best and only good thing that came out of the relationship Vader and I had. And given the choice, for her, I would do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment