Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Out of the Dungeon

My office for the last several years was fondly called The Dungeon. Mostly because it was in a basement (yes I have the red Swingline to go with it and Yes, that is my stapler and No you can't have my stapler) Tomorrow, I'm moving out of my Dungeon home and going up to the Penthouse. (That would be from the basement to the top floor for those of you that don't live in my building)

I'm not sure how I really feel about the move. This week has been 'one of those weeks' (insert echo here) I assume that it will be better. My office will now have a window (two actually) I won't be the only person on my floor....I'm going to miss my Dungeon. We often say that the only constant is change. This is of course especially true at my job. But we shall be okay and I'm sure that I will learn to love my new home.

Spawn Update:

I found a program through one of the blogs I follow called FAIR Club (see first link here)

http://marythemom-mayhem.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-discipline-your-difficult-child.html

(Big shout out to Mary the Mom for this) You can also find her blog, Muddling though Mayhem, in my blog list. I tried it for the first time last night on Spawn. My roomie K asked her to empty the dishwasher and of course she balked (I don't wanna do it Mommy, why do I have to do it?) So we (it's a team approach sometimes) explained to her that we needed her help and that she needed to follow rule 3 (Do your work) and that work meant chores and that yes emptying the dishwasher is one of her chores (newly assigned and she's fighting against it but still) when she evoked the magic works "IT'S NOT FAIR" yelled at us from the kitchen, to which I replied in my great newly acquired parental wisdom, "Welcome to FAIR Club dear" Well that just brought everything to a halt...What was this? FAIR club? She was, shocked, stunned even. I had explained it to her but like most things I try to tell her,  she really wasn't listening when I did. She got the message pretty quick. After approx 5 min, (instead of the usual 30-45 min this would take any other day) she decided that she had enough, she didn't like it there. She liked being a part of the family and she emptied the dishwasher. Tonight, she helped clear the table and load the dishwasher without being asked. So for today something is working. That doesn't mean that it will work tomorrow. I'm just glad for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment