Monday, July 5, 2010

You might be depressed if....

One of my friends emailed me today with the following question: "Is crying for no reason a sign of depression?" My answer to him was "Usually, yes." What I didn't say was there is no such thing as crying for no reason. There is always a reason for tears. You may not know what they are, you may not be ready to admit them to yourself but there is always a reason. I've been down that road so many times I can't even count. I went down that road tonight after that email, knowing that there is not much I can do to help my friend except be there when he needs me, and my heart breaking at the same time because of that very fact. I would love nothing more then to just fix things for him. I care about him more then I should.

I've been where he is, on the verge, sinking into depression due to what is going on around you. Wondering if you should reach out to the people in your life, and if you do, how much you can lean on them. Knowing that they, like you have their own things going on, hesitating to add your issues to theirs. I have found however that is what your friends are there for. Your real friends are the ones that will help you along regardless of what is going on with them because they know that when you are through your deal, you will be right there for them. Those are the friends that make the move from just friends to extended family.

I'm blessed with my extended family. Through them I have learned to be a better person and a better friend. I hope that those lessons will serve me well now when someone I care about needs me. I know that he knows I'm here for him. I just hope he's able to reach out.

No comments:

Post a Comment